Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Lost in translation ...

Although it may come as a surprise, I am quite enjoying studying Greek. The past two weeks has been a great time of learning. At times it’s been overwhelming but Greek’s really interesting once you get into it. Here’s an example of something I learnt today while doing some Greek exercises …

Part of our assessment in these first three weeks is to translate Mark 1:1-11. We’ve been given a couple of verses at a time and, using the vocab and grammar we know (and some helpful hints about stuff we don’t know) we translate. I’ve been working on Mark 1:6-8 for the past little while and was hit by something. No, it wasn’t a cricket ball flying through my window!

Mark 1:7 in the New American Standard says …

And he (i.e. John the Baptist) was preaching, and saying, “After me One is coming who is mightier than I, and I am not fit to stoop down and untie the thong of His sandals.”
In translating the word that has been translated “mightier than” literally means “more strong than”. So, Mark 1:7 could use “more strong than” instead of “mightier than”. So, you say, what's the big deal? Well, I guess it's not a HUGE deal but the nuance of "more strong than" provides a mental link to Mark 3. Well, that's what I immediately thought of! In Mark 3 the teachers of the law accuse Jesus of casting out demons in the name of Satan. I especially thought of verse 27 which says …
But no one can enter the strong man’s house and plunder his property unless he first binds the strong man, and then he will plunder his house.
Not getting the link? Well, Jesus is the "more strong than" one who is coming after John the Baptist. He is also the "more strong than" one who binds the strong man and plunders his house. In the context, I assume that Mark 3 is referring to Satan (as the strong man) and those who have evil spirits (as his possessions).

The point of all this … well, it’s really just to say that I am learning something at college and that I am working hard at my Greek!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home